× We encourage everyone to subscribe to this category to receive important news about new releases, etc. by email

DecoNetwork 7.5 update announcement

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #16884 by brenden
Hi Mike,

As stated DN75 is not experiencing wide spread issues. In fact, it's very stable and we have hundreds of clients running DN75 and all new sites are starting on DN75. Due to the SIGNIFICANCE of the change we're being cautious for clients that use a lot stock or template designs.

Our competitor was down for 7+ hours last night and if that occurred on DN we would affect thousands of customers.

Putting aside the screen print improvements, how your customers use your site will be mostly the same in DN75 as it is in DN7.0 so the there is no significant benefit to your front-end customers to the new release. Version 7.5 is all about back-end improvements and better help which equates to a better and easier system to use.

We'd rather your website be up and running without issues unlike our competitors customers who were down for +7 hours.

As already stated we are happy to update a client requesting it. Let us know, we'll check your site, and ensure there is zero risk before updating.

This caution has no impact on any other development.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager
Wilcom - Sydney, Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago #16885 by Thread Cred
G'Day Brenden,

I hear what your saying and completely understand, but the fact remains that it has not been plain sailing and it makes me wonder about how difficult the major changes required to bring DN up to the ever changing requirements of a modern marketing platform are going to be.

From our point of view don't have the luxury of time to sort out potential pre-release version problems, so will wait patiently for the version release to be fully BETA tested and released as a working version.

However, in this case we are even more cautious than you about V7.5 as I have been advised (officially by DN personel) that before upgrading we should have our web developers on hand so they can fix issues that (apparently) are likely to break our site. To do this requires planning and them having developer time available for timely repairs to any issues caused by the new version.

Time will tell I suppose.

1 year 3 months ago #16886 by ccruz
Hey Mike,

To be fair the correspondence you are referring to took place over a month ago. We have already resolved what we would consider showstopping issues (shoutout to our beta testers for submitting bugs!).

It was mentioned at the time that bugs were a possibility not a certainty and, "Specifically, the front end has seen changes in the checkout pages." The checkout process and the user profile-area are the only front-end pages which have changed in 7.5.

To put you at ease I've made some comparisons of what your checkout looks like on 7.2 and what it would look like after 7.5 update.

The cart page on 7.2:

The cart page on 7.5:

The cart page on 7.2 - On mobile:

The cart page on 7.5 - On mobile:

The benefit here is the checkout is re-written in a way to be more responsive than the old table layout. This is why you don't have to bother with a horizontal scroll anymore. While you may want to make minor adjustments, certainly cannot be considered as breaking your site.

-Cris
Attachments:

1 year 3 months ago #16887 by brenden
Cheers, Cris!

Yes I was going to clarify what those changes are which are minimal but positive.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

1 year 3 months ago #16888 by Thread Cred
Afternoon gentlemen,

I appluad your efforts to make the cart more user friendly, by removing the need for scrolling.

However, firstly, I have had no communication from anyone at DN since being advised that we should proceed with caution, so all this is news to me.

Secondly your comments that the change in the look and feel of the cart being a minor issues don't ring true. Cart abandonment is an ECommerce knife edge issue, we spent many thousands of dollars on coding this part of the site to make it as best as we possibly could within the limitations of the platform. We have heat mapping data from hundreds of user interactions and abandonments of our current cart that were used to tweak it as much as possible.

For you to now try and suggest that the dogs breakfast revealed by the screen shots you posted of the new cart when 7.5 is released is quite frankly putting your head in the sand. I don't have a problem with developing our site as the platform evolves, but for you to suggest that it is not breaking the site is ignoring the realities of ecommerce.

On the plus side, maybe the rewrite of the underlying platform may allow us to address some of the layout issues of the cart that v7.0 would not allow us to easily sort out.

1 year 3 months ago #16889 by brenden

Thread Cred wrote: Cart abandonment is an ECommerce knife edge issue

Yes very true! Perhaps we are underselling the value of this improvement :)

Given your research be good to get you to see what we're doing in DN8 and offer some advice or suggestions in that space, if it is of interest to you?

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

1 year 3 months ago #16892 by screenking
Hello Brendan,

More important and has been for the last 2+ years are the responsive themes etc; how close is V8. Obviously the backend for business use is great, but as you will appreciate how the sites look and perform are the whole point of what we are trying to do, attract and sell goods and services to customers (on any device). I know you are finally working on the responsive issue with the release of V8..... but when is it arriving????

I like probably the whole of your Deconetwork customer base are getting very frustrated with the front end offering, and we are spending money promoting our sites only to have a high bounce rate on mobile/tablet devices. Also most of our affiliates do not follow through as there are far better responsive, easier to customise options for them to sell t-shirts ie; shopify + fulfilment addon, than the current and previous Deco offerings.

Can you provide a clearer arrival time for V8 as I have been asking the responsive question for over 2+ years and feel I am in limbo waiting for the much needed theme/framework updating.

Thanks

Thanks

1 year 3 months ago #16895 by Thread Cred

brenden wrote:

Thread Cred wrote: Given your research be good to get you to see what we're doing in DN8 and offer some advice or suggestions in that space, if it is of interest to you?

I'd be happy to have a look and give any feedback that I can from our limited perspective, however internet UX design requires skilled and current knowledge that is rapidly changing and I would have thought that you blokes already have a top end consultant in that area on the job. In any case the customer UX experience of every site is different, and so I'm not sure that data gathered from our current site would have any implications for any other site, except maybe some very general and probably already well known UX design features that are known to cause customer confusion and therefore cart abandonment.

More importantly we have had a think about what to do now in the light of the information revealing that V7.5 will break our current cart code and require a cash investment to repair. If V8 is actually only 8-12 weeks away as advertised, maybe we should save the money and stick with V7 for a few months so money spent fixing the cart not is wasted when V8 comes along requiring a whole lot of work to re-code the cart (and possibly other things) yet again.

To compicate that decision; given the major changes slated as being in V8 and therefore the exponentially increased potential for technical issues to cause delays (witness V7.5), how long are we prepared to wait and forego any possible benefits that 7.5 might offer in the hope that skipping a version and waiting for V8 would prevent wasting cash.

The question is then how confident is DN that V8 will be released as stated in about 8-12 weeks?

1 year 3 months ago #16900 by brenden

Thread Cred wrote:
More importantly we have had a think about what to do now in the light of the information revealing that V7.5 will break our current cart code and require a cash investment to repair.

Hi Mike,

Just to clarify - it's not broken :) Sorry if you got that impression but as Cris showed the layout is different as it is now responsive but it still looks like your site using your theme.

We don't have any release dates for DN8 at and don't want to make any announcements at time time while we are still in coding. Murphy's law. If you wish to make changes and updates to your site you should and not delay in expectation of any new improvements or updates.

We genuinely cannot give a release date. We're very happy to share our progress and will continue to do so, but it is impossible to say how the development will be.

As Cris showed above in his post www.deconetwork.com/forums/announcements...ement?start=75#16886 you're checkout in DN75 will be mobile responsive, more modern and cleaner.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

1 year 3 months ago #16918 by Thread Cred

brenden wrote:
Just to clarify - it's not broken

As Cris showed above in his post www.deconetwork.com/forums/announcements...ement?start=75#16886 you're checkout in DN75 will be mobile responsive, more modern and cleaner.

I have asked our UX consultant to have a look at the before and after screen shots posted. According to him in order to prevent a large increase in cart abandonments it will most definitely require re-coding.

So I guess whether V7.5 will break the cart is a matter of opinion and perspective.

1 year 3 months ago #16926 by TrevorW
Hi Brenden,

My partner has enquired about upgrading to 7.5 and has received a response stating that she has to accept the Beta terms? I thought this was released in January? I understand there were some issues around pre-decorated products - of which she has none. So why the disclaimer almost absolving deco of responsibility of any issues? I have said no way due to it not being reversible.

Granted she has very little business through her website as it is (too embarrassingly inadequate) but still uses the backend quite a bit (as it is really good!). Sorry but just a bit of a "what the hell" moment from me as an email like that in this context from a software supplier in my industry would be unheard of. Surely being this overdue on releases (NOT your schedule-but your CUSTOMERS and their markets) would require more action and urgency on Deco's part?

If there is some urgency to resolve things within the organization - then awesome - but I'm not sure your customers are seeing or feeling it. I'm sure I could speak for all of us in saying we have fixed deadlines and have to make them work, and the fact that Deco don't seem to have or work towards any is mildly frustrating. I would never pay for a developer a monthly fee to upgrade my website at their leisure with non committal deliverables - so how the heck do you guys do it with your own?

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #16927 by brenden
Hi Trevor,

The information you received is factually correct. Update for DN75 for existing customers is being treated as beta at this stage. New clients are starting with DN75 for the reasons we've outlined numerous times in the forum and on our podcast. New clients do not have legacy stock designs.

The reason is purely precautionary. Hundreds of clients are running DN75 and we are more than happy to update anyone. However as stated previously we do ask that they understand it is considered beta and as always with beta 'anything can go wrong'. This is purely to draw the attention of the user to the very small risk.

Would you like us to upgrade you? Let me know your site in PM.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

1 year 3 months ago #16928 by brenden

Thread Cred wrote: I have asked our UX consultant to have a look at the before and after screen shots posted. According to him in order to prevent a large increase in cart abandonments it will most definitely require re-coding.

So I guess whether V7.5 will break the cart is a matter of opinion and perspective.

Hi Mike,

What exactly has your expert highlighted as an issue?

The new cart checkout is mobile responsive whereas the old one was not. This would be a positive for checkout abandonment.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds