Our community forums have moved. Visit our Help Center to join the discussions.

× Got a CSS, HTML or webdesign question? Ask it here!

Responsive Website Design

5 years 9 months ago #10654 by Represent
Replied by Represent on topic Responsive Website Design
Can we get an update on the responsive templates? seriously I have had the same templates since I signed up in 2010. We have made work around responsive templates, but our affiliate sites that are not in our control never look good, they look very outdated. We need something from deco to make us excited again. Please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #10655 by gregp
Replied by gregp on topic Responsive Website Design
I believe Brenden may have mentioned before but we are redoing the template architecture from scratch.
The new templates will be responsive.
The webpage management is getting completely redone so you get drag and drop widgets (think squarespace).
You will be able to edit html of pages and widgets.

It will be amazing.

But , and there is always a but.. this is a massive project. We have already had the team working on it for several months.
This will not be ready in the short term, think medium to more likely long term.

To handle google responsive check, we have added several minor changes to the html so it should pass googles responsive check.

Greg

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #10659 by Direct Trade UK
Replied by Direct Trade UK on topic Responsive Website Design
Hi Greg,

Thank you for the update.

Just my opinion, but if the re-coding is going to take months if not next year. Could DecoNetwork not finish working on the part responsive template that Brenden posted a version of some time ago? Even update the other templates to part responsive? Add a couple more templates?

I understand that to be fully responsive is a major re-write, but I think the goodwill generated, would more than compensate the extra work needed to complete a few interim templates before the major re-write is completed.

I am sure the re-write will be amazing, but I think DecoNetwork users need something better than they have now.

Andrew

5 years 9 months ago #10664 by StitchPrint
Replied by StitchPrint on topic Responsive Website Design
I've raised it before, but not had a response .....................

If you've had a Deco-Coach re-skin job on your website is the new responsive templates going to take care of that (from the parent template) or is it going to be a case of re-doing the re-skin :huh:

5 years 9 months ago #10677 by gregp
Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately the current implementation of templates had been taken as far as it can go technically.
We had a choice to spend several months applying another bandaid to our current solution and the result still not being good enough , or spend longer and do it correctly. We have chosen to do it the right way for the future.

The new templates will be different html / css / architecture than your deco coached one. I am working with the wider team to see how we can transition deco coach sites.

Greg

5 years 9 months ago #10679 by Direct Trade UK
Hi Greg,

I fully understand the reason and time needed to do a complete re-write.

I also understand a partially responsive template would just be a bandaid, but Brenden gave the impression that there was a part responsive template being worked on quite a while ago. As per my previous post, a version of it has already been posted in the forum.

Your posts are the first in nearly 5 months giving any meaningful update to this project and I thank you for this. But this is the first time someone from Deconetwork has informed us that the idea of an interim partial fix has been dropped.

Are you saying that it would take months to even finish working on Brenden's part responsive template?

Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: giftswp

5 years 9 months ago #10680 by gregp
Andrew ,

Valid points. We continually need to improve our setting of expectations.

What Brenden did was create a semi framework so you could manually make some parts of the existing templates responsive.
You can still use what he did through custom css.

However to implement what he has done in the default templates means a whole new infrastructure of how templates are created. (currently there is only 1 html framework for all templates.. Updating the framework would not be backwards compatible. lots of issues to solve).

So in overview, yes. If we were going to deliver responsive templates out of the box within our current architecture it would still be a massive project ,and still take several months.

Did I just ramble..? ha :)

Greg

5 years 9 months ago #10681 by Direct Trade UK
Hi Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to explain. Ok, I understand that any change to the default templates will take too long and detracted too much from the wider project of the complete framework rewrite.

But Is there any chance of finishing the custom CSS and HTML that Brenden started and make this available again for manual installation?

I am looking for any way that, we could receive an update sooner. :unsure:

On the point of setting expectations, I think it has been said before by members of the forum, the majority of people are just looking for your best guess ETA and then timely updates. Most people understand that there are delays in coding and even projects stall, but communication is the key, whether good or bad news.

With the above in mind, can you please clarify what you regard as "short term, think medium to more likely long term."? Are we talking about 6 to 12 months or 6 to 18 months for the ETA of the framework re-rwite.

Andrew

5 years 9 months ago #10697 by gregp
Re the new framework.

We are aiming sometime late 3rd quarter , early 4th :).

I will ping Brenden re the HTML/ CSS structure he has done and see if its applicable as a manual solution going forward.

Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: giftswp, Direct Trade UK, texpri

5 years 9 months ago #10702 by teerabbit
Replied by teerabbit on topic Responsive Website Design
Will this be a problem for me if I am having a web designer do a complete UI/UX on my website?

Will the updates in the future mess that up? Should I just wait until after this update?

Tee Rabbit - We Ink Well!

www.teerabbit.com

5 years 9 months ago #10703 by zhenjie
Replied by zhenjie on topic Responsive Website Design
Don't wait imo, get it done now. Most of the HTML5/CSS can be ported over by any good dev

Tee Junction - Custom T-Shirt Printing in Australia. Outsource your DTG printing to Tee Junction!
The following user(s) said Thank You: teerabbit

5 years 9 months ago #10720 by offsides
Replied by offsides on topic Responsive Website Design
Hey giftswp, I see you were able to add responsive design to your DecoNetwork website. Could you please let me know how you were able to achieve this?

All of the websites I produced since 2011 are responsive, and it's really a bummer to launch one in 2015 that doesn't look good on mobile. I'm still new to DecoNetwork - I was able to get one of the standard themes and make it look more contemporary ( www.offsidesports.com ), but there are lots of improvements on the way for the website, and it would make way more sense to develop them for a mobile site.

I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how were you able to achieve RWD on your DecoNetwork website.

Many thanks!

Paulo

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #10736 by giftswp
Replied by giftswp on topic Responsive Website Design

offsides wrote: Hey giftswp, I see you were able to add responsive design to your DecoNetwork website. Could you please let me know how you were able to achieve this?

All of the websites I produced since 2011 are responsive, and it's really a bummer to launch one in 2015 that doesn't look good on mobile. I'm still new to DecoNetwork - I was able to get one of the standard themes and make it look more contemporary ( www.offsidesports.com ), but there are lots of improvements on the way for the website, and it would make way more sense to develop them for a mobile site.

I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how were you able to achieve RWD on your DecoNetwork website.

Many thanks!

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

for some reason I just receive notification of your post today, I'm not sure what version you see in my website at the time that you checked it out, at first I was using a version from someone that offered a theme for a fee here, but now I'm using a version that Brenden posted here in the forum some time ago for free that I'm still tweaking and it just happened that I like it better :) you can get it here

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn

5 years 5 months ago #12068 by mozi1971
Replied by mozi1971 on topic Responsive Website Design
Does anyone know where i can find the documentation for css and html customization.

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #12069 by giftswp
Replied by giftswp on topic Responsive Website Design
There is a lot to learn in the Boot Camp video series but in session 5 is where it's focused in website skinning, I started with this video to learned the little bit that I know, check it out.

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn
The following user(s) said Thank You: mozi1971

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds