Our community forums have moved. Visit our Help Center to join the discussions.

× Got a CSS, HTML or webdesign question? Ask it here!

Responsive Website Design

4 years 9 months ago #14299 by sajego
Replied by sajego on topic Re:Responsive Website Design
I'll just chime in and say I like the micro updates and faster release schedule much better than waiting for big updates.

That said, I came back to this thread to see if I should mess around with my template or wait for an official responsive theme. I guess template it is.

---
Sara Gould
In A Flash Laser
iPadLaserEngraving.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #14300 by brenden
Replied by brenden on topic Re:Responsive Website Design
I think you do more than your best to help :)

My point which perhaps wasn't clear is that we really can't share more.

We do work in a microrelease cycle of 2-4 weeks so I'm not sure on your comment that we don't. Happy to clarify if needed. We always release release nots a week before release and open it for anyone to join and test. Unfortunately it's not possible to release anything sooner or more frequent.

We can't really commit to development in the future other than the simple comments we give now which is that we are working on something. I fully understand the urge for more :) And we wish we could give more.

The weekly update is a nice idea but they will have to be based around our cycles as this is all I can give because this is what is confirmed in development and what the team are working on.

Working on doesn't always translate to release as anything can go wrong.

RE help and documentation: fully agree! We are doing a massive update for this on the next release with help topics and videos for every section. It's a massive "start from scratch" and massively overdue. Agreed here.

Cheers.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager
Wilcom - Sydney, Australia

File Attachment:

4 years 9 months ago #14301 by Cortez
Replied by Cortez on topic Re:Responsive Website Design

brenden wrote: I think you do more than your best to help :)

My point which perhaps wasn't clear is that we really can't share more.

We do work in a microrelease cycle of 2-4 weeks so I'm not sure on your comment that we don't. Happy to clarify if needed. We always release release nots a week before release and open it for anyone to join and test. Unfortunately it's not possible to release anything sooner or more frequent.

We can't really commit to development in the future other than the simple comments we give now which is that we are working on something. I fully understand the urge for more :) And we wish we could give more.

The weekly update is a nice idea but they will have to be based around our cycles as this is all I can give because this is what is confirmed in development and what the team are working on.

Working on doesn't always translate to release as anything can go wrong.

RE help and documentation: fully agree! We are doing a massive update for this on the next release with help topics and videos for every section. It's a massive "start from scratch" and massively overdue. Agreed here.

Cheers.

Ever thought about sharing the development notes? You guys definitely have them. Here is what I'm getting at and so is everybody else. We are the controlling possessive wife/husband here. The best thing you can do is be honest otherwise we will continue to interogate you. I think a lot of us know that software development can be fickle. I would like to see a hey we had a setback on 7.01.06 blah blah release date pushed to 8/16.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Represent

4 years 9 months ago #14302 by thinkshirt
Replied by thinkshirt on topic Re:Responsive Website Design
InkSoft released their new sign and banner design tool btw.

demo.inksoft.com/Signs_and_Banners?Page=studio#/artLocations

For those who are keeping track, InkSoft released their HTML5 design studio in April of 2014. It's 2016 yet we are still waiting on a new design tool. I do software development as well and of course its true that deadline changes and development isn't always so clear and dry but honestly, when you're playing catch up to your competitor (2 years of catch up) that's a problem. And I agree with Cortez, when Deco does release the stuff it doesn't seem polished at all which is the upsetting part.

Your competitor released a brand new design tool (in addition to their current great design tool - in fairness it does lack mobile support also though) and our main design tool still is out of date. Their API is also far more powerful.

We'll see where this goes, waiting to see the new front-end/design tool before deciding if we should make the jump.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #14303 by Ellis
Replied by Ellis on topic Responsive Website Design
Is there anything we can do to avoid this "Error Rendering" problem on our end?
It has gotten to a state that we can not ( most of the time ) enter even the simplest text without receiving this error in BH. :-(

Note: not sure this is a responsive design issue since it occurs on PCs and our CSS for PCs does not overide the CSS style dimensions for these DOM elements defined by Deco which I do not think are relativ - but don't quote me.

FYI had problems with vectors and text combinations too.

Use case:
1. Uploaded a vector then added text layers to create decorated product for quote. The product would not render in the pdf for the quote nor via client web page.
2. Combined text with vector in Corel - uploaded design and it rendered fine. Seems the added text layers in Deco designer was the issue.

John

FYI - BIG Deco Fan - Hats of the the tech and development team... this is a complex system and very well done despite the minor hiccups.

4 years 9 months ago #14314 by brenden
Replied by brenden on topic Re:Responsive Website Design

Cortez wrote:
Ever thought about sharing the development notes? You guys definitely have them. Here is what I'm getting at and so is everybody else. We are the controlling possessive wife/husband here. The best thing you can do is be honest otherwise we will continue to interogate you. I think a lot of us know that software development can be fickle. I would like to see a hey we had a setback on 7.01.06 blah blah release date pushed to 8/16.

I appreciate the request but we can't provide those. Our software requirements are our IP. As a private company this is our asset and IP. We'll certainly try to be more transparent over any delays.\

Do so share concepts of new ideas which you've seen many times in the forums. Screen shots of questions and we'll continue to do that. It provides super valuable information to us.

We understand it's tempting to compare designer to designer but we feel the designer is only a small part of what DN has to offer. The feedback we constantly get is the importance of Business Hub but I do understand this particular thread is about the designer and front-end site.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager
Wilcom - Sydney, Australia

File Attachment:

The following user(s) said Thank You: sajego

4 years 9 months ago #14315 by zhenjie
Replied by zhenjie on topic Responsive Website Design
The designer and front-end may be a small part in the grand scheme of Deconetwork but it is surely THE MOST important aspect of the front end to customers, and thus the most important factor when it comes to conversions and sales.

It's imperative that we get an HTML5, mobile capable designer and front end. Deconetwork is years behind the competition. Maybe there should be a survey of Deco users regarding what they see as priority and have the results made public.

Tee Junction - Custom T-Shirt Printing in Australia. Outsource your DTG printing to Tee Junction!

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #14316 by Cortez
Replied by Cortez on topic Re:Responsive Website Design

brenden wrote:
I appreciate the request but we can't provide those. Our software requirements are our IP. As a private company this is our asset and IP. We'll certainly try to be more transparent over any delays.\

Do so share concepts of new ideas which you've seen many times in the forums. Screen shots of questions and we'll continue to do that. It provides super valuable information to us.

We understand it's tempting to compare designer to designer but we feel the designer is only a small part of what DN has to offer. The feedback we constantly get is the importance of Business Hub but I do understand this particular thread is about the designer and front-end site.

Brenden, we all need solutions for our businesses. Some of us can't wait for you to do them and will invest the money to have them done. Like a responsive theme, shipping solution, designer, marketing tools etc. just to name a few in this thread that I can think of. Those solutions may cost us 100"s or perhaps 1000's of dollars which if it's something we need and it can be done should justify the cost. What scares me is not knowing how your big changeover will change deco, what features are up your sleeve and if we are wasting our time and money on the short term fixes. A prime example is Sara's post above, "came to this thread to see if I should wait for a mobile theme or start working on my own" I could say the same about a shipping solution or a fundraising solution. Yes, Business Hub is great, it's fantastic, but we need solutions to get the business in business hub.

If you can't tell us when you are going to have things done can you at least tell us what you are working on in a broad sense so we can decide if we need to take quicker action? There are a bunch, I mean a whole bunch of great ideas being voted on and whole bunch of ideas are "accepted" but some ideas have been implemented that aren't on the accepted or implemented list. We know you guys can't do all those things but need a guide so we can plan for the future of our businesses.

Thank you for your consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Represent, none

4 years 9 months ago #14318 by Represent
Replied by Represent on topic Responsive Website Design
The responsive template has the highest votes on the voting system. That should be enough to tell it's importance and should take presidence above all, but the exception of bugs and system errors. Not only that but the new front end was supposedly been in developed for over a year, shouldn't Deco have a better understanding of the completion of the project by now?

4 years 9 months ago #14319 by 2LiveCards
Replied by 2LiveCards on topic Responsive Website Design

zhenjie wrote: Maybe there should be a survey of Deco users regarding what they see as priority

I like the idea, but I'm not sure what it would achieve, It's the same 5 or 6 people who raise the point in the forum (it's what activists do) - personally mobile responsive wouldn't be at the top of my list & what would be important to me probably wouldn't be to others.

At the end of the day Deco is an out of the box solution that a number of people expect to be a fully personalised system - that's not going to happen. If the product doesn't do what you want for your business you can vote with your feet ...... For now, I stay, because it's a more cost effective option than trying to go it alone considering what deco brings to my business

4 years 9 months ago #14320 by zhenjie
Replied by zhenjie on topic Responsive Website Design
A properly conducted survey will get a snapshot from the majority of the Deco user base. No one is suggesting one that's biased.

No one here is asking for a personalised solution to their OTB Deconetwork. Plenty have done their best at a custom CSS/HTML front end. The issue is the current framework is way behind the times compared to competitors.

Tee Junction - Custom T-Shirt Printing in Australia. Outsource your DTG printing to Tee Junction!

4 years 9 months ago #14321 by Represent
Replied by Represent on topic Responsive Website Design
Haha we are far from activists, More like business owners who are aware of our website analytics and can clearly see conversions being lost on mobile. I'm curios to know what your most important factor is? And how it would effect your conversion rate? Also the ideas section is basically our only survey option. Highest voted is responsive, in fourth place "responsive by the end of 2015" it's clear that is is the most sought after. By more than us 5 or 6
The following user(s) said Thank You: giftswp, thinkshirt

4 years 9 months ago #14322 by 2LiveCards
Replied by 2LiveCards on topic Responsive Website Design
:) I'm biased :) I can't use the designer worth a damn on the touch screen in the shop, never mind the tablet or god forbid my phone!

As we're 95% B2B with a customer base who are quite traditional (the UK is 2 or 3 years behind on the concept of web sales) and work on face to face & phone we find we're getting better responses out of the quality of our quotations etc via business hub.
As long as the front end isn't getting us penalised in Google search etc. (where we've put a shed full of time in to local seo etc. to replace the traditional directories route) I'm fairly happy with our on line conversions. I'd push for improvements in areas that affect us, be it the addition of the vinyl module, an overhaul of embroidery (#1) and an integration to sage as being high on my wish list.

I'm in complete agreement, we do need an update desperately as much of what we have is not greatly different than it was 6 years ago! Like everyone else I find the delay in getting things done more than slightly annoying, We've had a complete re-skin project on hold for over 12 months now waiting for the updates to be released before we can even consider going forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: giftswp, Represent

4 years 9 months ago #14323 by giftswp
Replied by giftswp on topic Responsive Website Design
Responsive! Responsive! Responsive!. yes, we want Responsive!

But I also want a response to the second most voted idea "Vinyl Module!" ;)

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn

4 years 7 months ago #14661 by giftswp
Replied by giftswp on topic Responsive Website Design

Ok, basically the first quarter is gone and no cake :smirking:

Any idea of the next guess for the new front-end and designer to be released?

Thanks.

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn
The following user(s) said Thank You: DigiTees, texpri

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds