× Got a CSS, HTML or webdesign question? Ask it here!

Near Duplicate Category Pages in New Set Up.

1 month 5 days ago #22803 by RaymondoBoss
Near Duplicate Category Pages in New Set Up. was created by RaymondoBoss
Hi -  Richard at Stitch and Print asked me to take a look at the category structure under the new responsive version of the deconetwork website.

The new navigation structure allows category pages to effectively be duplicates with no visible way to redirect or canonicalise the two different versions of each category
Using one example category
URLs for Fleece Category

Via Main nav the category appears at:  www.stitchandprint.co.uk/page/staff-uniforms/fleece

Via Category Links On HomePage or Category Side menu the category appears at:  www.stitchandprint.co.uk/create/Fleece?c=262168

Clicking through the product thumbnail on either category page, both end up here:  www.stitchandprint.co.uk/create/Fleece?c=262168

The naked category page that is imported into the homepage doesn't seem amenable to setting a canonical to one or other of the versions and there was no way that I could see for a thumbnail to be edited so that it was pointing to the old established category page URL.

I then went into the URL redirect section of the admin panel and no matter how I configured the syntax of the URL pair for a redirect, the redirect did not work.

Here's a screen grab of what's been described.  www.screencast.com/t/lLnuO90Y

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 5 days ago #22804 by Tommy
Raymond,
I'm the DecPro that rebuilt Richards site and setup the only 4 redirects I needed, as all other pages had no change in url. What you tried to do with redirecting /create/Fleece?c=262168 to /page/staff-uniforms/fleece will NOT work. Redirects are only for pages that no longer exist, essentially telling search engines that an old url that is indexed now points to new location (avoiding 404s and retaining SEO)

I am assuming your goal is to avoid duplicate content. Consider the following: Hope this helps, let me know.

-Tommy
You do not have permissions to access this page.

You do not have permissions to access this page.

1 month 5 days ago #22805 by Tommy
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds