× DecoNetwork version 8 beta.

Blog function

4 months 3 weeks ago #20923 by DigiTees
Blog function was created by DigiTees
Hi Greg, does the old Blog workaround still work with DN8? Ie embedding Wordpress and using nofollow etc?

Or is there a new Blog function coming soon ? :) :)

Niki

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 3 weeks ago #20924 by DigiTees

4 months 3 weeks ago #20925 by gregp
Replied by gregp on topic Blog function
Hi,

We havent re-coded this solution into DN8.
We were waiting for demand first.. The end goal is to create a blog function into Deco , however embed option is much quicker..

Anyone else reading this use the blog function avail in 7..?

Cheers,
Greg

4 months 3 weeks ago #20930 by 2LiveCards
Replied by 2LiveCards on topic Blog function
Yes and it's still a nightmare............. We keep having issues with the redirects / masks & now we can't get wordpress to understand that there is an ssl certificate on the site.......

A proper fix is required somewhere

4 months 3 weeks ago #20948 by gregp
Hi,

Do you have a support ticket for this one..?
If so , whats the number..? Ill dive in and take alooksy for you and see what I can sort out... or the developers anyway..

Cheres,
Greg

4 months 1 week ago #21071 by RaymondoBoss
Replied by RaymondoBoss on topic Blog function
Just revisited this discussion as I have been trying to get the blog function to work again after putting a different wildcard SSL certificate onto both the root domain and the blog subdomain. www.stitchandprint.co.uk/ and www.stitchandprint.co.uk/blog/ .

The blog displays as being in the sub folder, but is hosted in the blog.stitchandprint subdomain and uses the described reverse proxy arrangement to serve the blog content up in the sub folder to enhance the SEO value a bit. This was working fine despite various teething troubles and we were able to access the wordpress back end, create new posts and edit old ones.

Since we renewed the expiring simple ssl certificate and upgraded it to a wildcard certificate to include the blog as well, we seem to have had nothing but trouble. We are back to the situation where wordpress is giving errors when we launch it. When it does open, it says there is no SSL certificate - when there is. On opening the post editor, the editing panel is completely blank. I believe the website is still running on version 7 of Deconetwork and I am unsure why this change has happened.

4 months 1 week ago #21072 by RaymondoBoss
In addition have had an outside guy look at this. For us it seems to be a DNS conflict because our blog is hosted on a subdomain of the primary domain we've mapped to the deconetwork servers while the blog is hosted on our own hosting company's servers!

4 months 1 week ago #21082 by gregp
Hi,

I am getting one of my guys to look into this , will update back here when I get an answer,

Cheers,
Greg

4 months 1 week ago #21086 by RaymondoBoss
I think the problem is occurring because the blog is running from a sub-domain of the custom domain that we are using to brand the deconetwork backend. Will test today and let you know.

4 months 1 week ago #21089 by gregp
Hi,

This as response from ou developer , without seeing your last comment... as you can tell we are little confused.. haha

"Im a bit confused as well.
I have added an extra content re-write rule from " blog.stitchandprint.co.uk/ " -> "/blog/" so javascripts load correctly... this was not (i think) the issue raised...

It seems to be that the customer cannot get wordpress to use their wildcard cert... is that correct?
If so, this would be oin wordpress end not decos?

As far as I can see the embedding of the blog appears to be working correctly."

Let me know if we are off the mark here and going down the wrong path.. just wantto make sure its up and running for you.

Cheers,
Greg

4 months 1 week ago #21090 by RaymondoBoss
Hi Greg,
Not sure what you are seeing, but the blog displays correctly to a visitor, but now the backend is inaccessible.
Error connecting to blog.stitchandprint.co.uk/wp-admin/ : execution expired

4 months 1 week ago #21091 by RaymondoBoss
Update, backend now accessible - have you done anything at the deconetwork end?

4 months 5 days ago #21099 by RaymondoBoss
Thanks for resetting the javascript rewrite, but it didn't really solve anything.
I migrated the blog content to another domain completely and backend is now working fine. It would seem that the old setup, with the blog on a subdomain of the main site, is no longer viable. Having tested the new arrangement on a spare domain of mine, I will check with Richard that he's happy and migrate it to one of his spare domains, once hosting is created for it.

3 months 3 weeks ago #21161 by RaymondoBoss
Hi GregP. An update. I got frustrated with the way that this blog arrangement is working with LCN who host Stitch & Print's domain and blog. I have been at them for some time to investigate. As part of my own testing I set up a copy of the blog in a spare domain of mine, cumbriaseoservices.com, on a separate hosting setup (Freethought Internet). I also set up a new hosting account at LCN on a spare domain of Richard's. stitchnprint.uk.

The reverse proxy works perfectly when accessing blog content from the Freethought hosting, but fails when accessing the blog content from LCN's hosting. LCN support implicitly pass the buck saying they can't see anything in the server logs to indicate that the blog at stitchnprint.uk has even received a request from stitchandprint.co.uk(deconets hosting) to access the content. Not very satisfactory! I copy the content of the conversation that we have had over the past week or so, in the hope that it enlightens your knowledge of the process. To summarise. Stitchandprint.co.uk can access and embed content perfectly simpply from cumbriaseoservices.com, but cannot access it currently with the LCN hosted version at stitchnprint.uk The copied conversation will be in the next reply.

3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #21162 by RaymondoBoss
(reverse order newest at top)

(All links have been doctored with : // removed and "." deleted as your BB won't accept the rather necessary number of links referred to)

Here is the same error when the secure port number :443 is appended to the url https stitchnprint.uk:443/

Error connecting to https stitchnprint.uk:443/?: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A: tlsv1 unrecognized name

I'll pass this across to the deconetwork guys and see what they can come up with. However it doesn't address the question of why it works perfectly well with the Freethought Hosting when it is served from https cumbriaseoservices.com

Clearly something to do with a rogue setting in your hosting configuration ;-)

You wrote 1 day ago
Customer support icon
Thanks for the update Andrew
Here is the current error message received when we try to connect via https stitchnprint.uk

Error connecting to https stitchnprint.uk:443/?: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A: tlsv1 unrecognized name

You wrote 1 day ago
Logo
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the delay with providing an update on this ticket. We've carried out some testing on the link from your site whilst this was active and asked our engineering teams to have a look into the problem.

It's difficult for us to identify the cause of the error being returned as there's nothing at all in our server error logs for the connection attempts and this is being reported as a 500 internal server error on the stitchandprint.co.uk site. To get full details on the error that is occurring it might be necessary to look into the Apache logs on the server hosting stitchandprint.co.uk, or to enable full PHP error logging for the site on the server to check if this records further details on the error.

Can you confirm if Deconetwork have indicated that this method of embedding a page is expected to work when the site is accessed via HTTPS and the destination page/domain also has an SSL certificate enabled?

The only other suggestions we could think of would be to make sure that the URL being entered to embed the page is being entered as HTTPS rather than HTTP and also to try testing by adding :443 to the end of the URL to check if this makes any difference.

The issue appears to be caused by a failure in negotiating SSL connection to our server, but we're not able to see specific details on the cause for this as the connection error is occurring on the server for stitchandprint.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Andrew S wrote 2 days ago
Customer support icon
We need to get this blog live again. I am going to switch back to the working hosting shortly as nothing appears to have happened!

You wrote 2 days ago
Customer support icon
Hallo what's the state of play? Been rather a long drawn out thing this!

You wrote 2 days ago
Customer support icon
Hallo - any update?

You wrote 3 days ago
Logo
Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have raised your issue up to our 2nd Line Support team once more.

Once I have more information on this I'll contact you with an update. If you think of any further information that might help, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Matthew E wrote 4 days ago

Created: 13/06/2018 10:35 (9 days ago)

Summary: LCN.com - Website Migration Request
Department: migration
Domain/Hostname: https blog.stitchandprint.co.uk
User name: Contact Number: 07576893178
Existing Provider: LCN
office@stitchandprint.co.uk (User logged in when ticket submitted)

It's a copy of the installation currently at the blog. subdomain of our main domain, which we need to place at https stitchnprint.uk I have tried repeatedly to migrate using Updraft Plus' migration facility which has been successful on a variety of other hosts.

External source switched to stitchnprint.uk

You wrote 4 days ago
Customer support icon
Hi thanks for getting back to me.
here is the extent of our technical understanding of how the deconetwork hosting for the main website's backend embeds an external site's contents into the subfolder within the main site. The full post is here on the deconetwork support forums. I have cropped and pasted what I believe is the most relevant part in regards to the engineers' queries. https deconetwork.com/forums/general-questions-and-how-tos/4795-blog-or-external-website-content-display-in-deconetwork#9600

Blog or external website content display in DecoNetwork
Category: DecoNetwork general questions and How-Tos

Hi all,

We've had a lot of requests for a blogging platform in DecoNetwork. However, the reality is we will never be as good of a blogging platform as dedicated platforms like WordPress.

Therefore we've made a way where you can integrate the display of your blog or any external website content on your site. The content can be displayed on any sub-page you create. i.e. www.yourdecosite.com/blog can display your entire WordPress blog. As users browse inner pages or posts of your blog the URL is updated correctly. i.e. www.yourdecosite.com/blog/printing-digital-tshirts .

Technically we're doing this through a reverse proxy. You can read some external resources about this at:
moz.com/blog/what-is-a-reverse-proxy-and-how-can-it-help-my-seo
webhostinggeeks.com/infographics/what-is...w-can-it-help-my-seo

The new beta feature is available in V7.07 only and is an app called "Embed External Websites". Enable it by browsing to + Add-on > Website Tools category > Embed External Websites.

Once enabled you can now make a new website page that points to your external source.

1. Browse to Manage Store > Website Pages
2. Click to create new page
3. From the "Page Status" drop-down select "Embed External Website".
4. In External Site URL put the full URL of your external website. i.e. www.deconetwork.com/blog
5. In Your Site URL put the URL that the external website content will appear on your site. i.e. "blog" for www.yourdecosite.com/blog
6. Check both Rewrite Links and Rewrite Javascript Links to ensures links in your external embedded site work within your Deco site.

You wrote 4 days ago
Logo
Hi Richard,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

After asking our engineer's further questions, they have asked if you're able to provide information about how the site is being embedded.

I can see from your screencast how you added the link in the control panel of stitchandprint.co.uk but what would be useful would be if you could provide specifics about what method this software is using to get the content from stitchnprint.uk.

They have also asked if you could re-enable the link for the time being for our investigations?

If in the meantime you have any further queries, just let me know.

Kind regards,

Matthew

Matthew E wrote 4 days ago

No Progress! Will have to switch the blog back to its external source if it goess on much longer.

You wrote 7 days ago
Customer support icon
While following up with one of your support people by chat he asked if I could leave any information that might help to unpick the issues. I have recorded a very short screencast of the deconetwork backend to try and explain the reverse proxy process, Deconetwork have suggested we use, to include blog content within the main domain in a subfolder instead of isolated in a subdomain. This has been done to allow better SEO marketing value to be created by blogging.
https www screencast.com/t/EKeTAr1oJuC

You wrote 7 days ago
Logo
Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have raised your issue up to our 2nd Line Support team.

Once I have more information on this I'll contact you with an update. If you think of any further information that might help, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Matthew E wrote 7 days ago
Logo
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

If you can provide login details and steps to replicate the SSL error, we can take a look into this for you.

If in the meantime you have any further queries, just let me know.

Kind regards,

Matthew

I have reveerted the embed back to the externally hosted copy of the blog as i am losing the will to live!

You wrote 8 days ago
Customer support icon
The migration happened but had lost sight of all images. Despite running better-search-replace/ I still needed to go in and manually replace all image links in blog articles!!

The new install recognises its free SSL certificate which is an improvement on the situation in the blog. subdomain - thanks.

When linking to the blog from the main site (which embeds it at stitchandprint.co.uk/blog/) I get the old SSL handshake error this does not happen when embedding from external hosting!:

I do not get this when embedding from my own external hosting on Freethought! Your wordpress hosting seems poorly matched to a modern backup plugin - it completely stalled updraft plus functionality which migrates wordpress flawlessly on every other hosting set up I have used over past few years - and it doesn't seem to cope with your own free ssl certificates! Any hints or inspiration as I am getting very very frustrated by this process.

You wrote 9 days ago
Logo
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your email.

Your site has now been copied from blog.stitchandprint.co.uk to stitchnprint.uk.

the following plugin for WordPress can help to correct any links/URLs in the site that still refer to the old address: https en-gb wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

Let me know if there's anything else we can help with.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Andrew S wrote 9 days ago

Original ticket
Name: Richard Mattinson
Email address: office stitchandprint.co.uk
Created: 13/06/2018 10:35 (9 days ago)

Summary: LCN.com - Website Migration Request
Department: migration
Domain/Hostname: https blog stitchandprint.co.uk
User name: Contact Number: 07576893178
Existing Provider: LCN
office@stitchandprint.co.uk (User logged in when ticket submitted)

It's a copy of the installation currently at the blog. subdomain of our main domain, which we need to place at https stitchnprint.uk I have tried repeatedly to migrate using Updraft Plus' migration facility which has been successful on a variety of other hosts.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds