Our community forums have moved. Visit our Help Center to join the discussions.

Is DTG good value?

3 years 8 months ago #16615 by Lloyd1
Is DTG good value? was created by Lloyd1
Hi Guys
We're looking at buying a DTG but not sure if it would be good value in our business rather than an expensive toy?

Can anyone give some advise on it. Are they worth having?

Thanks

Lloyd

Cheers
Lloyd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #16630 by 2LiveCards
Replied by 2LiveCards on topic Is DTG good value?
I'd love one, but can't see a way to make it pay with our business plan. If T-Shirt printing is your thing you need one, if it's not you don't.
I reckoned 50 shirts per day minimum, preferably 100, to make it pay.
For £30K I'd rather have 3 more embroidery machines :D

3 years 8 months ago #16633 by Lloyd1
Replied by Lloyd1 on topic Is DTG good value?
Yeah we do tee printing at the moment but not in them volumes. Thanks for the advice maybe ill leave it for the future :)
3 embroidery machines for £30k I need to know where your getting these from!!

Cheers
Lloyd

3 years 7 months ago #16676 by Cortez
Replied by Cortez on topic Is DTG good value?
To give you a benchmark to judge off of, we started with an Epson F-2000 and with a 3rd party RIP we produced about 18 shirts an hour and average consumable cost (ink etc) is about $2-3 a shirt. You can take it from there to decide if it's profitable for your business. If you are selling direct retail it can be very profitable even with the smaller machines, if you want to do wholesale/contract its a numbers game.

3 years 2 months ago #17627 by MSGINC89
Replied by MSGINC89 on topic Is DTG good value?
Do you like for F-2000? We are looking to change from the brand we have but don't need something that costs $60k.

Kristine

3 years 2 months ago #17628 by giftswp
Replied by giftswp on topic Is DTG good value?
I have been looking for a DTG option too, I have been considering the Epson F2000 but I have been reading that it has a mandatory maintenance procedure that it comes with a cost of about 200.00 dlls a month wether you print or not, so I'm not liking this.

Now I'm about to see a demo of a new machine from a company that started like 2 years ago, it happens that it is local to me and I happen to know the owner (Justin Walker), he has been in the DTG business for many years as a fulfillment company, he has been using many brands, and one of the brands that he liked was Neoflex but more do to the RIP software "Kothari", the very same software he is using now on his machines, according to him this software is by far the best RIP out there, if you want to learn more about it go here www.katanadtg.com if you want to go big take a look at this www.katanadtg.com/2017/07/16/worldwidedt...usive-print-network/

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn

3 years 2 months ago #17650 by Ellis
Replied by Ellis on topic Is DTG good value?
We entered the DTG market 2 years ago using Epson F2000s.

Epson changed the maintenance method they call a "tube wash" in January this year - it now cost about US$40 per month using their "Eco Tube Wash". The old method required flushing about $125 worth of white ink each month. The new method does not flush the ink. All in all this printer provides very nice output but is slow on dark garments. We manage about 18 shirts per hour dark (white ink), and 25 per hour light. BUT we get a premium since we print in about 1M colours and size the designs to fit the shirts. Deco allows us to manage the workflow and make printing one-off shirts viable. Without Deco we would not be able to do it efficiently.

In my opinion a automatic pre-treat machine is a must so add about $7-$8k to the bill to get started. With any DTG printer that does white you must run the machine regularly and be very very diligent on the maintenance. These are not desktop printers that you can leave sitting for days and days. The most we let our printers sit is 4 days over Christmas. The rest of the time we run isix days a week.

Last but not least. If you choose Epson - buy the extended warranty which will run you $4K more for two extra years for a total of three years. You MUST have the printer paid for by then, and enough in the bank to buy another to replace it because once it breaks it will be a toss away. Yep.... pretty much garbage. There is no trade-in market and you can only get parts from Epson... period.

At time and material a service call to replace a print-head can run you $3K to $5K depending on the parts and your location so warranty service is golden. Be very careful not to not underestimate the maintenance cost of any DTG printer.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: giftswp, adamp

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #17653 by Sewsublime
Replied by Sewsublime on topic Is DTG good value?
I have been using the M2 Dtg for over a year now, it prints great using Kothari rip Software which is simple to use. With a general clean down at night and a nozzle check each morning it has been great. I make sure we print at least 1 white print per day to make sure the old ink from the cartridges are pushed through. You can print 4 shirts at a time approx A4 or 2 A3. You defiantly need a pre treat machine, it saves a lot of time, mess and inconsistent prints when hand spraying, which I have had customers say before when doing larger runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamp

2 years 11 months ago #18180 by princy
Replied by princy on topic Is DTG good value?
Yes, it is of very good value. My advice is you is, go for a DTG printer that is very specific to your business. Go online read the reviews from starters like you. Make a point of practically seeing the machine. Have it print the type of print that you will be doing. Remember custom t-shirt business is expanding now more than ever!!!!!!

2 years 11 months ago #18223 by princy
Replied by princy on topic Is DTG good value?
I came across a Freejet 330TX and without a doubt it the best choice for any startup. Comparing it with other DTGs in the market, this printer is half the size, half the cost, and twice as good. It saves so much time on maintenance due to the fact that its printhead does not clog, so the printing process does not stop somewhere along the way.

2 years 11 months ago #18229 by Lloyd1
Replied by Lloyd1 on topic Is DTG good value?
Thanks guys for this!

Is anyone in the UK open to me sending work to you? I can test the waters and see if its actually viable for me to offer this service?

Cheers
Lloyd
The following user(s) said Thank You: princy

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds