Our community forums have moved. Visit our Help Center to join the discussions.

× Into DTG digital printing? Chat here!

Is DTG worth adding to a Screen Printing Operation?

6 years 3 months ago #7666 by paradoxsc
We get a steady amount of guppy calls about one or 2 tee shirts that I usually turn away with "our minimum order is XX" line.

We screen print in bulk usually so there is a lot of room for profit piece by piece. I just want to know if it is a smart move to get into DTG from where we are currently.

Going over some figures:

A new Brother DT3 will run about $21,999.99

Now I probably get at least 1 call a day suited for DTG, lets say that the average order size in this category is "2" shirts.

Not knowing anything about DTG im assuming its print then done with no other process going on based on the few videos I've watched. So, lets say I get my blanks for $1.50 and sell them at $20 printed, I also assume that the ink isn't cheap and say $5 of ink gets laid down on each garment.

I sell 2 DTG shirts per day. I've got an average cost of $6.50 and sale price of $20.00. How long will it take me to pay back a $22,000 dollar loan?

20.00 - 6.5 = $13.5(margin) x 2 = $27.00/per day(profit)
22,000 / 27 = 815(days) / 365 = 2.23(years)

So it would take almost 2 and a half years to pay the machine off assuming the intrest rates we're good. I've already paid all of my screen printing equipment off 100 times over in a much smaller window of time. I'm having a hard time seeing the benefits of DTG, where are the profits??? Someone with DTG experience please school me on the subject because I have no idea what makes these machines so appealing to the average sized shop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sajego

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #7667 by Represent
We mainly print DTG and sub out most of our screen print. We printed over 35K shirts last year DTG, and paid off our Neoflex in about 4 months. The average ink cost on a white shirt with an A4 print size is about 0.10/0.15 of ink. Our rip program calculates ink cost for us on each print with price per liter as a bases. Dark shirts with a white underbase and an A4 print size range from $1.50 up to $2.50. We will run full color jobs up to 5K shirts with our DTG. It definitely has a huge learning curve to make it successful and we have been perfecting they way we run our DTG production since 2009 and the industry is still growing and changing. I have used pretty much every make of DTG printer and they all have their benefits, but do your research and get one that makes sense for your operation. If you only plan on doing 2 shirts a day there are many DTG printers that are way cheaper than $20k can handle that kind of volume.

6 years 3 months ago #7672 by sajego
I really like this kind of topic. :) Thanks for sharing questions and answers everyone.

---
Sara Gould
In A Flash Laser
iPadLaserEngraving.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam.bennett

6 years 3 months ago #7673 by Cortez
Well you could always market the DTG printing to pay back your investment quicker. I would add DTG in a heartbeat. With all the completely customizable templates you could create with deco and the facebook/instagram integration. You could sell one offs all day with a DTG printer and not have to worry about the number of colors/quantity. Not to mention they are great for producing samples on a bulk order.

6 years 1 day ago #9255 by plalonde
DTG can definitely fill a gap for your customers that want as few as one (1) garment printed or want a full color print without all the setup expense of color separation. DTG has come a long way in the past couple of years. There still are a few issues that DTG needs to overcome. Printing on 100% poly, issues with how pre-treatment chemicals react with some garment dyes (reds and oranges) as well as the inability to Pantone color match are the top three I see. Usually all of these can be overcome thru education.

When are are shopping for DTG printing equipment be sure and fully understand your consumables cost. There are some very popular machines that can be reasonably to purchased but the consumables costs (especially white ink) make them very unappealing.

My advice would be to find a wholesale DTG printer and utilize them until you have enough volume to quantify the cost of the equipment. DTG equipment like a dog tends to favor daily exersize. Equipment that is left for days without use will tends to be problematic. With the DecoNetwork's Outsource feature it can be extremely easy to offer DTG and have your business partner do the fulfilling. Might I suggest DTGHub (DecoNetwork ID number 11081592)

6 years 1 day ago #9256 by sajego
I just sent you a link request :) Mostly to try out the outsource linking thing, but I do have a few customers who do shirts now and then.

---
Sara Gould
In A Flash Laser
iPadLaserEngraving.com

5 years 6 months ago #11355 by CarolHill
I think you can add DTG to a screen printing operation.Screen printing is a method in which ink is applied directly to the surface. The technique is used both for making fine art prints and for commercial applications. To know more you can visit morepromo.ca/ online.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds