Our community forums have moved. Visit our Help Center to join the discussions.

× Into DTG digital printing? Chat here!

Stunning looking print from today

5 years 11 months ago #9844 by Justin86
Stunning looking print from today was created by Justin86
I had to run a batch of shirts from clients artwork today and I thought it looked incredible so I had to share.

Print Size 360 x 500mm, High production speed.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #9849 by texpri
Replied by texpri on topic Stunning looking print from today
looks nice Justin ;)
what a shirt brand and what a percentage spray and how much of white underprint you use for this print ( guess its a double underprint ? ) ?

Andreas

5 years 11 months ago #9850 by Justin86
Replied by Justin86 on topic Stunning looking print from today

The shirt is nothing special just a combed cotton tee from my local supplier Biz Collection.

For Biz collection I run 39-43 % spray always double white and 50% under lights 35% under darks.

I am running a fairly high resolution linerization table that I wrote, The default profiles are pretty poor IMO.

5 years 11 months ago #9854 by farzoqe
Replied by farzoqe on topic Stunning looking print from today
How are you getting such bright colors from a CMYK DTG printer? Which brand is it?

5 years 11 months ago #9856 by texpri
thats interesting, because for such vibrant colors i need almost up to 70% in 2 Passes white and that feels often sticky. Im not sure if it depends on the model. looks like you are not longer with the breeze and changed to a storm2. i have the 932/6 and maybe its a different game with the ink and Spray amounts.
Do you know about different linerization on different machine typs? Any suggestion or advice how i can find a way to do this for my machine.
Maybe you or someone else can offer such a service to me. So i guess the cost for such a service are worth because better results in look and feel and its becomes an ink saver.

Andreas

5 years 10 months ago #9887 by Justin86

farzoqe wrote: How are you getting such bright colors from a CMYK DTG printer? Which brand is it?

Im running a Kornit Storm II printer with Kornit inks.

It has taken along time and a lot of messing around to get prints like this. I would not recommend getting a Kornit for brightness as the Epson based printers running Dupont inks can achieve a lot brighter results.

5 years 10 months ago #9888 by Justin86

texpri wrote: thats interesting, because for such vibrant colors i need almost up to 70% in 2 Passes white and that feels often sticky. Im not sure if it depends on the model. looks like you are not longer with the breeze and changed to a storm2. i have the 932/6 and maybe its a different game with the ink and Spray amounts.
Do you know about different linerization on different machine typs? Any suggestion or advice how i can find a way to do this for my machine.
Maybe you or someone else can offer such a service to me. So i guess the cost for such a service are worth because better results in look and feel and its becomes an ink saver.

I started out running a Storm 2. The spray amounts should be the same if you have it calibrated correctly. Do you have the upgraded metal spray pressure reg? My spray pressure is set at 3bar pressure on priming and drops to 2bar when the spray is activated.

The white ink % is relative to the resolution you are printing at. I know what you mean about the stickiness, when I first started I was running way to much white ink and some of the prints would stick to them selves and peel the ink off.

The brightness seems to be effected a lot by the quality of garment you use and the spray amounts. I absolutely hate running anything Gildan I can get good looking prints but I have to run between 80-95% spray and it soaks the entire shirt which makes my ink sit ontop of the spray and it becomes ruff and sticky.

Are you using photoshop or Quick P for your white layer creation?

Another weird thing I found was that in Quick P oranges and reds are considered dark colours so I run the white % under darks as high as possible without causing the ink to orange peel.

The linerization process is fairly easy and I would be happy to walk you through it. I am lucky enough to have an Eye one Pro here that I used to scan the print outs but you can do it manually.

The shirt on the left was run using the factory setups "Dark Highest Quality" and the pre treat and print took 4 minutes 40 seconds the shirt on the right was run using my profile and it took 3:35 to pre treat and print.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sajego

5 years 10 months ago #9935 by texpri
Thank you for your proposal Justin.

Im looking for a xrite but there are some different models and Software options out there.
the i1 xtreme is around 799 here in Germany the x1pro2 from 900 up to 2k for the i1publish pro.
Can you give an advice if the extra software is recommended or just the Hardware is needed with the kornit?

i can agree, that gildan is very tricky to print, their 150g ring spun cottons are with a kind of a silicon oil for smoothness and if the temperature of ink and garment are differ and under 23°C the print fails/ peels.
If i do a second print and the "oil" is burned out after the first curing, the feel of the second site is different. its comparable like you print on a hot shirt.

the cheap gildan and also fol made with "endless yarn" need mostly 20% more white Underbase and up to 90% pretreat, like a 300g hoodie.
like you wrote is the shirt quality is the key.

Yes i use Quick P, but
I change the RGB into CMYK in Photoshop by useing the Kornit ICC for Black Shirts, in the general Photoshop settings. For me it works out fine, but like i wrote before, only with around 65-70% white / 2 Passes for a bright orange.
For the Rip i use almost Quick P with a 545 Black T Action.

i have another Question to you, i havent used the naming convention for Kornit Prints in Deconetwork yet.

In the German Version they Label the Production Settings with "standart White" / "standart Light" and "standart Dark".
Its a bit confusing.
The Naming Convention for the Kornit is correct and i can give the standart light the Dark Settings with full white BG and the standart Dlack the Settings for Black with a gradient for knocking out the Black color and use the Shirtcolor for Black Areas.
So it should work out in general.
I just want to know if the have in the english Version different Label Names and if you also recomend 4 th Option for Black tees.

Andreas

5 years 10 months ago #9937 by Justin86
No problems at all, I wish Kornit had more information available so I didn't have to learn all this the hard way.

The Xrite software isn't important, for the Kornit the linerization wizard is built into Quick P production.

If I were you I would scrap Quick P designer all together and the Quick P actions.

My process is

Open file in photoshop

Convert to RGB

Make a selection of the blacks and then run a gradient map of RGB 0,0,0 over the black areas to get a nice solid black.

Flatten the gradient map

I have made my own actions to create a underbase without any of the colour manipulation that kornit wrote into there actions. My action just creates a white underbase under everything except black.

If the image needs to fade into black you need to use a selection method to remove most of the black.

Save file as a .tiff or .psd in RGB mode.

Then on the Printer in Quick P Production I have my own setups Black T high qual and White T which just select my profiles

For Darks my profile is running 545 x 545 resolution on the white layers and 636 x 636 on the colour layers. I did write a 720 resolution profile but it was to slow and didn't improve the quality.

For White Tee's my profile uses 636 x 686 resolution.

The higher resolutions put down more ink and I can actually print jobs on high production speed.

To be honest I download everything from Deco as a .pdf and prep the jobs as above.There are exceptions to this If the image doesn't need to blend then I simply open in PS convert to RGB apply gradient map to blacks and then save as a .png file and the save goes for images on white tees.

Are you running V2 .icc profiles? What rendering intent are you printing with?

Does the Thunder have a head configuration of CMYKWWWW ?

To save you the money I could send the profiles I have and you could try and see if your prints improve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: baumanb, BritAbroad

4 years 4 months ago #15241 by BritAbroad
Replied by BritAbroad on topic Stunning looking print from today
Hi Justin,

I know this is an old post, but I have been struggling with my prints with a kornit Breeze.

I would be very grateful if I could test your profiles.

Regards
Steve

4 years 4 months ago #15242 by Justin86
Hi Steve

Sure

First what machine are you running, also are you using the new "pure" Kornit inks or the old style?

Are you able to get a good solid white base?

4 years 4 months ago #15243 by BritAbroad
Hi Justin,

Using a Kornit Breeze with the NeoPigment Inks (Old Style, I believe)

I have been running a double white layer, but the colours are not coming through sharp, normally I use 55% fix agent on Gildan and Anvil T-shirts.

4 years 4 months ago #15250 by Justin86
Ok cool, I barely use our Breeze anymore but ill do my best to help. We only keep the Breeze around for printing hoodies when the Storm is busy.

Can you send me a pic of the issue you are trying to fix and also an image of your white base.

The image below is what your white should look like. This was printed on a Gildan 2000 singlet.

Here is my Breeze profile on the old style ink for Black Anvil Tee's and also my Kornit setup file.

File Attachment:

File Name: Breezeprofiles.zip
File Size:3 KB

A few simple things can also give you huge improvements.

Use RGB format files.

make sure your RGB source profile is AdobeRGB1998, it produces much brighter results than using SRGB profiles.

for rendering intent I prefer Perceptual but Relative can give better results on certain files.

Also I like to turn up my print heads and run a higher pulse setting than standard. See the below image these settings are available under the technicians menu.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritAbroad

4 years 4 months ago #15251 by BritAbroad
Many Thanks Justin,

I'll be doing some testing later today.
When our Breeze was installed we were instructed to change the file mode to CMYK so I'll try RGB.
Also I do not have the password for the technician tab.

I'll try and post some pics later.

4 years 4 months ago #15252 by texpri

BritAbroad wrote: Many Thanks Justin,

Also I do not have the password for the technician tab.

1234 should work for you ;)

Andreas
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritAbroad

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds