× Ask and contribute to general questions and how-to for DecoNetwork products.

Blog or external website content display in DecoNetwork

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #9600 by brenden
Hi all,

We've had a lot of requests for a blogging platform in DecoNetwork. However, the reality is we will never be as good of a blogging platform as dedicated platforms like WordPress.

Therefore we've made a way where you can integrate the display of your blog or any external website content on your site. The content can be displayed on any sub-page you create. i.e. www.yourdecosite.com/blog can display your entire WordPress blog. As users browse inner pages or posts of your blog the URL is updated correctly. i.e. www.yourdecosite.com/blog/printing-digital-tshirts .

Technically we're doing this through a reverse proxy. You can read some external resources about this at:
moz.com/blog/what-is-a-reverse-proxy-and-how-can-it-help-my-seo
webhostinggeeks.com/infographics/what-is...w-can-it-help-my-seo

The new beta feature is available in V7.07 only and is an app called "Embed External Websites". Enable it by browsing to + Add-on > Website Tools category > Embed External Websites.

Once enabled you can now make a new website page that points to your external source.

1. Browse to Manage Store > Website Pages
2. Click to create new page
3. From the "Page Status" drop-down select "Embed External Website".
4. In External Site URL put the full URL of your external website. i.e. www.deconetwork.com/blog
5. In Your Site URL put the URL that the external website content will appear on your site. i.e. "blog" for www.yourdecosite.com/blog
6. Check both Rewrite Links and Rewrite Javascript Links to ensures links in your external embedded site work within your Deco site.

Avoiding duplicate content issues

The next item to consider is the ability to block Google from indexing the original source content and your DecoNetwork website which would indicate duplicate content from Google's perspective.

You need to ensure the original source website is set to noindex i.e. <meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">. With WordPress this can be done via a plugin or by WordPress settings.

You then want to "remove" that tag from the content shown on you DecoNetwork website. Therefore, you add the following rule in the next section Content Rewriting Filters:

Find: <meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">
Replace: (leave blank)

You can see this in action by visiting acme.deco-apparel.com/ and clicking on the "Blog" link. This loads the DecoNetwork blog normally at www.deconetwork.com/blog but embedded on my DecoNetwork demo site.

IMPORTANT NOTE

The intent of this feature is to display content only. It does not allow integration in terms of data, users, etc. This feature won't be updated to handle or support any of this.

If you want to give it a go you need to be in V7.07. If you want to test this feature please let us know :)

Brenden

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager
Wilcom - Sydney, Australia

File Attachment:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: giftswp, Justin86, sajego, RaymondoBoss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #9691 by brenden
By the way, if anyone does this let me know :) Interested in the feedback.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

File Attachment:

The following user(s) said Thank You: RaymondoBoss

3 years 11 months ago #9694 by sajego
Just for you brenden --
It's changing font in my menu... but:

store.ipadlaserengraving.com/portfolio loads ipadlaserengraving.com

This could be interesting if I wanted to ditch the store subdomain and run deco on the tld..

---
Sara Gould
In A Flash Laser
iPadLaserEngraving.com

3 years 11 months ago #9731 by brenden
Nice! And yes, it is designed to allow you keep all your content under the one site.

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

File Attachment:

3 years 10 months ago #10129 by teerabbit
Hi Brenden,

I would like to try this with my wordpress blog. Do I need to be updated to the latest version to do this?

Also, if I follow the instructions correctly, will my original websites domain benefit from the the embedded blogs so properties here on out?

Tee Rabbit - We Ink Well!

www.teerabbit.com

3 years 10 months ago #10135 by brenden
Hi,

This feature is available on version 7.07 which you are using so you can use this feature.

Once you follow the instructions the content of your site blog will be embedded on your DecoNetwork website and that site will enjoy all the content that comes with it - which is great for SEO!

Cheers,

Senior Product Manager

File Attachment:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Justin86

3 years 10 months ago #10163 by teerabbit
Actually the only options that show up under page status are: "HTML" "LINK" or "OFF." I don't see anything that says embed

Tee Rabbit - We Ink Well!

www.teerabbit.com

3 years 10 months ago #10164 by alexheap

Actually the only options that show up under page status are: "HTML" "LINK" or "OFF." I don't see anything that says embed

This is because you havn't enabled the 'embed external websites' add on. :)

Alex Heap

3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #10166 by giftswp
blank...

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn

3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #10167 by giftswp
blank....

Ruben
The one that does not ask, does not learn

3 years 9 months ago #10283 by BayshoreBrands
Replied by BayshoreBrands on topic Blog or external website content display in DecoNetwork
I can't find this option anywhere. Can you please point me to it more definitively than the below instructions? i.e. where do I find the app call "Embed External Websites"?

"The new beta feature is available in V7.07 only and is an app called "Embed External Websites". Enable it by browsing to + Add-on > Website Tools category > Embed External Websites."

Mark Holland
Bayshore Brands
www.bayshorebrands.com

3 years 9 months ago #10284 by ccruz
Hey BayshoreBrands,

You can find the Add-on in your Manage Fulfillment area. Click the yellow +Add-ons button at the top of the page. Once there, use the category filter and filter to Website Tools. The add-on in question should be the very last one.

-Cris

3 years 9 months ago #10285 by Cortez

brenden wrote:
Technically we're doing this through a reverse proxy. You can read some external resources about this at:
moz.com/blog/what-is-a-reverse-proxy-and-how-can-it-help-my-seo
webhostinggeeks.com/infographics/what-is...w-can-it-help-my-seo

Brenden

Interesting read, would it be possible to use the reverse proxy idea to embed your deco store into a wordpress site? Or are there easier ways to go about that? I have two non-profits that I'm starting to work with and while it would be easy enough to set up a an external link to their store, it would be nice to be able to embed the store right into their site.

3 years 9 months ago #10290 by adam.bennett

Cortez wrote:
Interesting read, would it be possible to use the reverse proxy idea to embed your deco store into a wordpress site? Or are there easier ways to go about that? I have two non-profits that I'm starting to work with and while it would be easy enough to set up a an external link to their store, it would be nice to be able to embed the store right into their site.

I'm very interested in the answer to this question

3 years 9 months ago #10305 by adam.bennett
Any way Greg can weigh in here?

If we setup store.ourdomain.com as a deco site, and we use some other platform to manage the content of ourdomain.com on our own server, can we use nginx/apache to work as a reverse proxy to embed all of the content of store.ourdomain.com as ourdomain.com/store? Aside from customer switching to the secure domain for checkout, do you forsee other issues with the functionality of the store?

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds